Thursday, August 17, 2006

Triathlon Update: Is There Such a Thing As An Easy Butterfly?

Every week, one of my triathlon teammates Emily sends out a couple of swim workouts. When we started out, they were entirely freestyle. I like freestyle. Freestyle is easy and its fast. However as the season has gone on, she's increasingly mixed in a stroke of our own choice in some of the sets.

Normally, it would be no question and I'd choose the backstroke. However, I normally workout at the USD pool over lunch (outside with the sun overhead) and am almost completed blinded by the sun whenever I try the backstroke. The other problem with doing the backstroke at USD is that they only have the flags at the end of the pool on one side. For those of you who aren't swimmers, the flags let you know when you're approaching the wall on the other side of the pool. I realized that one day when I was moving along at a nice pace and my head hit concrete. So there you have it, two reasons not to do backstroke over lunch at USD.

I could also do the breastroke. However, the breastroke is just so slow. I'm normally in a hurry to get in my workout over lunch and don't want to waste any time. So that leaves me with one other stroke...butterfly. It is fast. However, everytime I do it, it feels like I'm in an all out sprint. I'm fighting just to finish 25 yards. More often than not, my last few strokes look more like an impersonation of a dying whale than someone actually doing the butterfly. I actually kind of like it....yes I'm into putting myself through excruciating pain. I just wish that it would be possible to do the fly at something less than 100% effort. I look forward to the day when I can joke about doing a 50 fly cool down. My question for the day, is there such a thing as an easy butterfly?

1 comment:

powstash said...

Easy butterfly? Sounds like an oxymoron to me. I stick to the freestyle myself, often cause of time constraints - I've only got so much time to get my swim workout done. However, I've started to ad 4-6 sets of 75 yard IM's (fly, back, free) to my workouts to mix it up.