Monday, August 14, 2006

Competition: Against the Clock or Your Competition?

This morning I saw a comment that did get me thinking some more about competition. Like I said before, I definitely am motivated by those I'm competing against. But I do also compete against certain benchmarks (the clock in the case of Saturday's time trial) to see if I'm doing well when compared with previous performances. In the case of Saturday, I did see a big improvement. In June we did a 20k time trial that I finished in ~40 minutes for an average speed of 18 mph. On Saturday, I completed 40k in just over 1 hour and 10 minutes for an average speed of 21 mph. So that was a big improvement. I should be happy. But psychologically, I saw my battle against the clock and my battle against the other riders as two seperate races. I could be glad that I had improved. But I wasn't going to be satisfied unless I at least caught up with the two riders in front of me (one being our 60 year old coach) going into our last lap.

No comments: