Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Triathlon Update: Suck it Up!

The last time I wrote, I was complaining about my elbows and I wasn't sure if I was imagining it. The pain seemed to be moving around. It seemed to be moving around between my forearm and my tricep and everywhere in between. Finally, last Wednesday, I had enough. I told myself that I really must be imagining it and decided to go swimming the next day. Although my elbows felt a little tight afterwards, on the whole they were fine. I ended up swimming 1700 yds that day and am now back into the routine. So the lesson learned is, if it feels like your mind is playing tricks on you, it probably is. So just suck it up and deal with it!

On Saturday at our team bike practice, Lisa and Sara, two of my teammates, told us a story of their friend Rita who had recently died from Leukemia. Both of them joined Team in Training shortly after Rita was diagnosed. She was an honored teammate for several seasons and used to cheer on the team during practices. They told us that whenever they feel like they can't climb another hill, swim another lap, or run another mile, they tell themselves to do one more for Rita. I found that pretty motivating and used it get myself to do one more climb up Mt Soledad on Sunday.

My totals for last week were: biking 91 miles, running: 10.5 miles, swimming: 1700 yds.

Moving on to another topic near and dear to me, I'd like to talk about the world cup. The TV coverage this year has been great. The fact that every game is being broadcast this year shows just how far soccer has come in this country. Also surprising has been just how great the turnout has been to watch the games at the local San Diego bars. I never would have guessed that I wouldn't be able to get into a bar to watch a soccer game due to the bar being at max capacity. Like everyone, I was pretty disgusted by the US performance against the Czech Republic. But I've got to give them a big hand for the spirited effort they showed against Italy.

No comments: