Friday, December 29, 2006

What Did Santa Bring Me For Christmas?

I have to admit that I love Christmas! As a kid, I was one of those who would do everything humanly possible to find out what I was getting before Christmas morning. I searched high and low to find out where my parents were hiding the presents. Once I found them, I employed just about every technique possible to figure out what was hiding in those packages...everything from the "fine-tuned" shake to the surgical disassembly and subsequent reassembly of packages using the exacto knife. There was no way I was getting any sleep on Christmas Eve...I was way too excited about opening any presents in the morning. It was always a thrill to see if I got what was on my wish list. Now as an adult, I'm still definitely a Christmas person. Despite all of my bitching about buying presents, I love buying presents for people when I get a great idea. (My sister's in a heap of trouble next year since my recent visit to her place in Western New York has given me LOTS of ideas!) Although I don't decorate my house at all, when I do settle down and have a family, I'm sure I'll illuminate my house in the true Clark Griswold style. (Too all of my future neighbors, I'm very sorry!)

Unfortunately, Santa did not bring me any gear this year...but I did get some checks that will be used to reimburse my checking account for some of the great gear that I have already purchased this Summer and Fall. In the coming months, I'll be doing reviews of all the new gear I've bought this year. So, I'll give you quick preview of what to expect throughout the winter.
1) Patagonia R1 Granular Jacket: Light Weight Windproof Fleece Jacket. This is replacing the black LL Bean Fleece PulloverI got for Christmas in 1992. I think this is well overdue. I went with the lighter weight jacket primarily for ski tours where I always seem to be wearing next to nothing by the time I'm done the skin up. I'll have to see how this will be for lift serviced skiing.
2) Patagonia R2 Fleece Vest: Standard Windproof fleece vest that I intend to wear with the jacket for lift serviced skiing to provide added core warmth.
3) Patagonia R1 Flash Pullover: Pullover shirt that I'll be using as a baselayer for lift serviced skiing.
4) Sierra Designs 600 Down Jacket: After getting envious of all of my ski buddies being warm while resting at the top of the mountain or sitting in the hut last year, I decided this was a must have for 2007. I got a great deal on this at Sierra Trading Post this summer...$56.
5) Black Diamond System Gloves: These are a light weight set of gloves with a shell and a removable insulated liner. Although they aren't waterproof, I think they'll be more than adequate. I also got these off of Sierra Trading Post for $19. My only concern with them is the size. I don't have large hands by any means. So I was surprised when a large was tight.
6) Black Diamond Anarchist Pack with Avalung: At the end of last season, I gave up on my REI pack after the chest strap broke. Although I wasn't excited to fork out the dough required for this pack, I figured that even if the avalung only increases your chance of survival in an avalanche by a small percentage, it would be worth it. It would be bad karma to lower your chances of survival for a measly $70. (Of course, I recognize that the true way to increase your chances of survival in the backcountry is to be prudent and avoid putting yourself in a position to get in an avalanche.)

Those are the major things I've gotten this year and I have to admit that I'm psyched to get the chance to try them out. My first trip of the year will be 6 days at Alta with my dad at the beginning of January. Like last year, we'll be staying at the Peruvian...it's expensive...but I really love that place. Hopefully, as long as the snowpack keeps building in the Sierras, I'll be heading up to Sequoia for 3 days of backcountry over MLK weekend.

No comments: